Olympic College’s Digital Filmmaking program offers the serious student a unique blend of film theory and practical hands-on training. Our students learn the craft and techniques of narrative storytelling while acquiring the technical skills and artistic sensibilities necessary to compete in the new emerging frontier of digital filmmaking. Our curriculum integrates concentrated classroom study of all the major filmmaking disciplines with intensive hands-on experience in student film projects, because our philosophy stipulates that the fruits of theory realize full maturity in the practical application of the art.
While the principle focus of our program is the narrative fiction film, the artistic and technical skills acquired by our students are transferable to television, commercials, documentaries, music videos, and the blossoming new arena of episodic web content. Our curriculum imparts the critical thinking and leadership skills necessary to excel in the new emerging frontier of digital filmmaking. This program is dedicated to serving the authentic needs of the modern dramatic artists of the 21st century.
Our educational philosophy clearly declares that the contemporary dramatic artist is a digital artist. This is of vital importance because knowledge and training in digital movie making means higher employment for our students upon graduation.
Bachelor of Applied Science in Filmmaking
(90 + 90 = 180 credits)
The Bachelor of Applied Science in Digital Filmmaking (BAS DF) is a practitioner oriented, applied degree that will prepare students for a range of positions in the rapidly changing field of digital film, including jobs in video production, directing, cinematography, screenwriting, and acting. The degree will also prepare them for digital content production in a variety of industries, including jobs with branding, marketing, and advertising companies, businesses in any industry that creates digital content for training purposes, and entrepreneurial opportunities.
Program Learning Outcomes.
The BAS DF program adds knowledge, skills, and abilities in filmmaking expertise to students’ professional technical education and work experience. Upon successful completion of the program, all students will be able to:
- Consciously develop a responsible, socially, culturally, and historically relevant aesthetic and apply it to filmmaking disciplines such as producing, directing, acting, scriptwriting, editing, cinematography, and post-production.
- Demonstrate competency as a practitioner in a range of filmmaking disciplines.
- Assess productions for quality control, ethical compliance, and sound business practices.
- Demonstrate leadership, project management, and effective collaboration on film making teams.
- Evaluate emerging technologies in film making and industry trends to maintain currency and drive innovation.
- Integrate specialization in two or more film making disciplines in an advanced film project.