Olympic College’s Digital Filmmaking program offers the serious student a unique blend of film theory and practical hands-on training. Our students learn the craft and techniques of narrative storytelling while acquiring the technical skills and artistic sensibilities necessary to compete in the new emerging frontier of digital filmmaking. Our curriculum integrates concentrated classroom study of all the major filmmaking disciplines with intensive hands-on experience in student film projects, because our philosophy stipulates that the fruits of theory realize full maturity in the practical application of the art.
While the principle focus of our program is the narrative fiction film, the artistic and technical skills acquired by our students are transferable to television, commercials, documentaries, music videos, and the blossoming new arena of episodic web content. Our curriculum imparts the critical thinking and leadership skills necessary to excel in the new emerging frontier of digital filmmaking. This program is dedicated to serving the authentic needs of the modern dramatic artists of the 21st century.
Our educational philosophy clearly declares that the contemporary dramatic artist is a digital artist. This is of vital importance because knowledge and training in digital movie making means higher employment for our students upon graduation.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Collaborate on digital filmmaking productions in multiple crew positions
- Explain the basic theory, history, and aesthetics of digital filmmaking
- Focus on film language and apply the techniques of cinematography
- Effectively utilize digital cameras, lighting and audio equipment in studio and on location settings
- Construct an industry resume detailing specific filmmaking crafts positions
- Demonstrate knowledge of professional set protocol, behavior, ethics and collaboration techniques
- Acquire and develop film directing skills and expertise in directing actors
- Effectively and artfully tell original stories cinematically
- Obtain non-linear digital film editing and visual effects skills
- Effectively utilize film industry software programs
- Practice the art and craft of film acting
- Develop a demo reel from OC’s student film projects
- Integrate and demonstrate the art and craft of screenwriting