2020-2021 Olympic College Catalog 
    Jun 12, 2021  
2020-2021 Olympic College Catalog

Enrollment Information

This section provides information about applying to Olympic College, financial aid, assessment testing, the advising process, registration, and more. 

Getting Started at OC

Step-by-step instructions for new and continuing students.

Apply for Admission

New Students

  • Online: Visit Olympic.edu and click the red "Apply Now" button to get started.
  • In person: Fill out and return a paper application available to download online or at any of our campuses. Individual help available at the Welcome Center.

You will receive an admissions email and acceptance letter with your ctcLink ID and important information.

Current Students - Skip to "Attend an Advising Session".

Visit Olympic.edu and search "Getting Started." welcome@olympic.edu, 360-475-7279

Fund Your Education

  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form at fafsa.gov or complete the Washington Application for State Financial Aid (WASFA) at readysetgrad.wa.gov Use school code 003784 for OC.
  • Research additional funding options on the OC Financial Aid website including Military and Veteran programs and OC Foundation Scholarships.
  • Contact Workforce Development to see if you qualify for Career Training Grants to help fund tuition, childcare, books, and supplies: wfd@ olympic.edu, 360-475-7555.

Visit Olympic.edu and search "Financial Aid." financialaid@olympic.edu, 360-475-7650

Math/English Placement

  • Get information about the Accuplacer Assessment and schedule your assessment for English and/or math on the OC website, or contact your local campus about walk-in availability.
  • Submit unofficial transcripts from prior institutions if you have taken college-level English or math before.

There is a $20 non-refundable fee to take the Accuplacer.

Visit Olympic.edu and search "Assessment." accuplacerquestions@olympic.edu, 360-475-7238

Attend an Advising Session

New Students

  • Attend the Student Orientation to Advising & Registration (SOAR) session. SOAR offers important information to make your advising and registration successful for your first quarter and beyond.
    • Contact the Advising Center to schedule your SOAR session and follow up advising appointment.

Current and Former Students

Schedule an appointment with an entry, program, veteran, or faculty advisor.

Visit Olympic.edu and search "Advising." advisingcenter@olympic.edu, 360-475-7530

Register for Classes

New Students

  • Register yourself in the ctcLink Self-Service Portal after choosing your classes.

Current & Former Students

  • Find your time to register - registration times for current students are available in the ctcLink Self-Service portal.
  • See "Stay on Track with Advising" for more information.

If you have not attended the previous four quarters, contact the Welcome Center.

Visit Olympic.edu and search "Register." registration@olympic.edu, 360-475-7650

Pay your Tuition and Fees

  • Online: Pay using ctcLink Self-Service portal.
  • In person: Visit the cashier at any campus.
  • Phone: 360-475-7181

Payment is due ten business days before the start of the quarter. If registering after this date, payment is due within 48-hours of registering.

Visit Olympic.edu and search "Cashier." CashierOffice@olympic.edu, 360-475-7181

Buy Books

bnbookstore@olympic.edu, 360-475-7420

Admissions Eligibility

OC is an "open door" college, and students from all walks of life and educational backgrounds are invited to attend. To be eligible for general admission to the College, one of the following is required:

  • 18 years of age or older, or
  • High school or GED graduation, or
  • A written release from the high school district

Applicants under the age of 16 are not usually offered general admission.

Some programs require special applications, admission, permission or faculty advising before enrollment. See "Additional Admission Procedures" in this section.

If you are interested in non-credit admission, see Community Education admission in this section. For more information, contact:

Contact Information
Welcome Center - Admissions
Bldg. 4 (HSS), Rm. 103
360-475-7279, welcome@olympic.edu

Application Processes

New Student Admission

New students should follow the "Getting Started" process.

For general admissions, the free application for admission is required. Apply online with the state Online Admissions Application by visiting Olympic.edu and clicking the red "Apply Now" button in the upper right corner of the page. Paper applications are available at any campus and available for download on the Olympic.edu webpage.

Official transcripts for coursework completed at other colleges or universities are not required for admission. However, previous course work may count for prerequisites or transfer credit toward Olympic College degrees or certificates. Visit olympic.edu/programs-classes/transfer-oc.

Additional Admission Procedures

Some programs require general admission and program admission. Application deadlines and entrance requirements must be met.

There are additional admission requirements for:

Adult Basic Education, High School Diploma Program, Running Start, International Students, Health Occupations (Nursing/Healthcare, Medical Assisting, Physical Therapist Assistant), and bachelor's degrees. Veterans and their family members: College Resources . Active Duty Military and their family members: phone the military advisor at 360-473-2821.

Continuing Student Admission

Students who continue from the previous quarter must follow the items 4-7 on, "Getting Started."

Former OC Students

Former students who wish to return to the college after being away for four or more quarters should call or go to the registration office at their local campus to receive a "time to register." Former students who have been away for three or fewer quarters should check ctcLink Student Self Service for their time to register (see "Getting Started"). Former students should not submit a new online or paper application for admission, but contact the Welcome Center for their ctcLink ID. Former students should contact an advisor in their program of study to discuss their education plan and to receive program updates before registration.

Transfer Student Admission

Applicants who have completed college-level course work at colleges, universities or through military training may apply for admission online. Official transfer credit evaluations are processed after the second week of the first quarter of attendance or when all official transcripts have been received. Submit the "Transcript Evaluation Request" form available at olympic.edu/current-students/registration/registration-records-forms and official transcripts to the Ranger Station - Registration & Records office. Information: olympic.edu/current-students/registration.

New transfer students must take an official or unofficial copy of their transcript to their advising appointment (before classes start) for an unofficial evaluation and to meet prerequisites by signature or entry code.

Bachelor of Applied Science in Digital Filmmaking (BAS DF) Admissions

Students applying for admission to the Bachelor of Applied Science in Digital Filmmaking program must meet the application and entrance requirements to be considered. For application and entrance requirements, go to: olympic.edu/filmmaking.

Bachelor of Applied Science in Information Systems (BAS IS) Admission

Students applying for admission to the Bachelor of Applied Science in Information Systems program must meet the application and entrance requirements to be considered. See "Information Systems Bachelor of Applied Science" at: olympic.edu/computer-information-systems/information-systems-bachelor-applied-science-bas/bas-program-overview for application and entrance requirements.

Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) Admission

Students applying for admission to the Bachelor of Science in Nursing program must meet the application and entrance requirements to be considered. Admission is competitive. See "Bachelor of Science in Nursing Degree" at: olympic.edu/nursing-bachelor-science-nursing-rn-bsn for special application and entrance requirements.

Bachelor of Applied Science in Organizational Leadership and Technical Management (BAS OLTM) Admissions

Students applying for admission to the Bachelor of Applied Science in Organizational Leadership and Technical Management must meet the application and entrance requirements to be considered. Go to olympic.edu/organizational-leadership/organizational-leadership-and-technicalmanagement-bachelor-applied for application and entrance requirements.

International Student Admission

Students are admitted to summer, fall, winter, or spring quarters and should apply early enough to: (a) allow time for the processing of a student visa, (b) make travel arrangements, and (c) arrive at least one week before the quarter starts to attend orientation and register for classes. Enrollment in a minimum of 12 credits is required, unless students need to take intensive English, which is 18 credits.

For complete application materials and admission steps, go to olympic.edu/isp.

For more information, contact: 360-475-7412 or international@olympic.edu.

Depending on the level of English skills and interests, students may enroll in a variety of educational programs. Intensive English provides language skills, cultural knowledge and experience needed to use English effectively, communicate and succeed in academics and the workplace, and provides opportunities for personal growth. International students may enroll or co-enroll in the high school diploma completion program, college preparatory courses, university transfer studies career, and professional degrees and certificate programs. International students learn and practice English skills while they complete freshman and sophomore-level classes in academic, career, professional and technical programs, pursue degrees and certificates, and prepare for transfer to a university to complete a four-year bachelor degree. Guaranteed transfer admission is conditionally offered to admitted international students who graduate from OC with an associate degree to selected universities in Washington, Montana, Arizona, California and Tennessee. Contact the Office of International Education for a list of partner universities.

International students who graduate with associate degrees have been admitted to universities throughout the United States and transfer as third year juniors.

Community Education Admission

Community Education classes offer many opportunities for professional development and personal enrichment for the community. Schedules are flexible and classes are offered throughout the year. Classes are open to the public. Students do not have to be enrolled in OC degree programs to attend. To register, students should visit the OC webpage at olympic.edu/programs-classes/community-education. A selection of community education classes is available each quarter, a comprehensive list of classes is available on the webpage at the web address above.

High School Programs Admissions Processes

Running Start

Running Start is a dual enrollment program created by the Washington State Legislature to expand educational opportunities for high school juniors and seniors. Running Start students can enroll in college-level classes, tuition free, for up to 15 credits or a maximum of 1.2 Full Time Equivalent (FTE) combined between the high school and college. Students are responsible for any tuition above 15 credits, or 1.2 FTE and for any coursework taken below college-level or during summer quarter. Students are also responsible for college fees, transportation and book expenses.

Eligibility Requirements:
High school juniors and seniors who wish to enroll as Running Start must:

  • Be under the age of 21
  • Be classified as a junior or senior
  • Have a cumulative high school GPA of 2.5 or above*
  • Qualify for college-level English and/or math**
  • Not have earned all credits/received a high school diploma (GED excluded)

Running Start applicants who meet the eligibility criteria listed above are encouraged to apply to the Running Start program by published priority deadlines. Late applications will be accepted until the Wednesday prior to the start of the quarter.

*Students may appeal the required 2.5 cumulative GPA by submitting an appeal letter with their Running Start application addressing their academic performance and describing traits, skills, and habits that demonstrate readiness for college classes.

**Students who do not place into college-level English and/or math, who want to experience a collegiate environment while continuing to develop their computation and reading/writing skills outside of Running Start, may enroll in a limited selection of OC courses identified below:

  • Classes designated as "Skills Performance (H/SP)" Specific ART, DRMA, MUSC courses
  • Physical Education Department Classes: Any PE-FSP or PE-RD
  • General Studies Department Classes: Any GEN-S course

Priority applications due:

May 1   Fall quarter entry
Nov. 1   Winter quarter entry
Feb. 1   Spring quarter entry

Initial application steps include: applying to OC, taking the Accuplacer assessment test and submitting a Running Start application form along with a copy of the student's high school transcript, assessment scores, and the Running Start Student/Parent Agreement form. Detailed application and eligibility guidelines are outlined in the Running Start Information and application packet located on the OC Running Start webpage.

All eligible students are required to complete a Running Start orientation session to learn about the college and Running Start program procedures. Additionally, Running Start participants must submit a completed Running Start Enrollment Verification Form and meet with a Running Start advisor in order to enroll each quarter.

Once enrolled, Running Start students are considered regular college students who are subject to campus policies, procedures and student privacy regulations. Running Start students may participate in any college-level classes fall, winter and spring quarters including distance education and Bremerton, Poulsbo and Shelton campus offerings.

Contact Information
Running Start
Bldg. 4 (HSS), Rm. 208
360-475-7646, runningstart@olympic.edu olympic.edu/runningstart

High School Completion Program

Individuals who want to earn their high school diploma from Washington state may enroll in developmental and/or college-level courses to meet state requirements. Students who are 17 years of age or younger, or if their graduating class has not yet graduated, must have a release from their high school to attend classes at OC.

The first step is to get all official high school transcripts and make an appointment with an OC counselor who will evaluate them to determine what courses are needed. Students must also meet any other state testing requirements if they are under the age of 21. The cost of tuition is reduced for those who are over the age of 18 and meet other minimum requirements. For more information, contact the Counseling Center at 360-475-7540 or visit olympic.edu/programs-classes/adult-high-school-diploma-alternatives. In accordance with Washington state law (SHB 1758, effective July 2009), individuals who enroll at OC and complete an associate degree (two-year diploma) of any type may also submit a written request and be awarded a high school diploma from OC. The law is retroactive and is valid before and after the law went into effect.

College in the High School

College in the High School offers high school students the opportunity to take college-level classes at their high schools. With Dual Credit, high school students can earn both high school and OC credits at the same time through articulation agreements. Education partners vary. For more information, contact 360-475-7555.

Career and Technical Education (CTE) Dual Credit (formerly called Tech Prep) - West Sound Education Consortium

CTE Dual Credit offers high school students the opportunity to start professional/technical training programs while still in high school. Via articulation agreements between OC and the high schools, high school students in selected programs can earn both high school and OC credits at the same time, provided they earn a "B" or better in the high school course. Education partners include OC, Kitsap and Mason county school districts and the West Sound Technical Skills Center. For information on programs and application requirements, go to olympic.edu/programs-classes/tech-prep-dual-credit.

Financial Aid

Financial aid is available at OC to those who qualify. Types of financial aid include scholarships, grants, loans, and institutional aid. To apply for financial aid, first complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Go to OC's financial aid web page at olympic.edu/paying-college/financial-aid/ for more information. Call 360-475-7650 with questions or visit the Ranger Station in the Bldg. 4 (HSS), first floor.

See Workforce Education Programs for additional funding sources for students.

Veterans benefit information and assistance is available to those who qualify. Call 360-473- 2821, go online: olympic.edu/services/military-and-veteran-programs, or visit the Veteran & Military Benefits Office, room 100 in the Engineering building at the Bremerton campus.

Financial Aid Eligibility

To qualify for financial aid, students must meet the following eligibility requirements:

  • Have completed a high school diploma or GED or meet Ability to Benefit requirements.
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).
  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.
  • Have a valid social security number (unless you are from the Marshall Islands, Federated States of Microtesia, or the Republic of Palau).
  • Not be in default status on a federal student loan or owe a repayment on a federal grant.
  • If male and between the ages of 18 and 26, must be registered with Selective Service.
  • Be pursuing a degree or certificate in an eligible program and have and Olympic College goal.
  • Undocumented students must apply using the WASFA application.
  • Must have filed your federal tax return for applicable tax year, if required to file.

The college uses information from the FAFSA to determine need and eligibility for various forms of financial aid. The amount of financial aid awarded varies based on need and cannot exceed the school's established cost of attendance (COA). COA is established each year and includes estimated tuition, fees, books, supplies, room and board, personal, transportation, and miscellaneous. COA varies based on dependency and residency status. OC establishes its COA according to the Washington Financial Aid Association (WFAA). For more information about the COA at OC, visit: olympic.edu/paying-college/ financial-aid/financial-aid-faqs.

Application Procedure

To apply for financial aid, students must complete:

  • FAFSA for each year enrolled
  • OC Financial Aid Data Sheet (or State Aid Data Sheet for undocumented)
  • Verification Worksheet (if requested)

The FAFSA is available Oct. 1. Apply early, online: fafsa.ed.gov. For those without easy access to computers, paper FAFSA applications may be downloaded from the website. Once you have completed and submitted your FAFSA, allow two to four business days for the college to receive your application.

Undocumented Students

State aid is now available for undocumented students by completing the Washington Application for State Aid (WAFSA) application. Go online: readysetgrad.org for more information and to apply. Once you have completed the WASFA application, follow the same procedure as stated above and monitor the Portal for updates and information.

Financial Aid Awards and Disbursement of Funds

When you are awarded financial aid you may register for classes. Those who register for classes before being awarded are responsible for payment of tuition. Financial aid is not disbursed to the College until the first day of each quarter. Applicants with awards in excess of tuition and fees will receive a disbursement refund. OC has partnered with Bank Mobile, a third-party provider approved by the Department of Education, to issue disbursement refunds to OC students. For more information about Bank Mobile and the refund selection options go online: olympic.edu/paying-college/financial-aid/financial-aid-faqs.

Financial Aid Available: Grants, Work-study, Loans & Scholarships

Need-based financial aid programs include: federal, state, and institutional grants, work-study, and subsidized student loans. Scholarships can be based on need, merit, achievement, or a combination. OC participates in the following financial aid programs:

  • Grants: Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (FSEOG), Opportunity Grant, State Need Grant, OC grant, OC tuition waiver.
  • Work-Study: Federal and state.
  • Loans: Federal Direct Loan, Federal PLUS Loan, non-federal education loans (credit-based; FAFSA not required).
  • Scholarships: For more information about scholarships, see "Scholarships" section.

Satisfactory Academic Progress; Student Rights and Responsibilities

All FAFSA applicants awarded financial aid are required (by the Department of Education) to register for classes in their programs of study AND to maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP). SAP is assessed after the end of each quarter. Financial aid recipients who do not meet GPA requirements may be placed on warning or have future aid cancelled. Those who do not finish a quarter may be required to repay all or part of any financial aid they received for that quarter. To learn more about OC's SAP policy and student rights and responsibilities, visit: olympic.edu/paying-college/financial-aid/financial-aid-faqs.


Scholarships administered by the Financial Aid Office

Scholarships are based on varying criteria (financial need, academic achievement, area of study, etc.). Interested students should review their eligibility and apply during the announced scholarship application period for the upcoming academic year. For more detailed information and a list of available scholarships, visit: olympic.edu/paying-college/financial-aid/scholarshipopportunities.

Scholarships administered by the Olympic College Foundation

You've got big dreams. The Olympic College Foundation is here to help you achieve them. The Foundation awards more than 200 scholarships each year based on a wide variety of criteria set by donors, including financial need, academic merit, community service and area of study. The average award is $1,900, which goes a long way toward OC's annual $4,000 tuition. It's easy to apply at Olympic.AwardSpring.com. After you create a free account, simply complete the application and upload your transcript and recommendation letters. AwardSpring will automatically match you with appropriate scholarships. Scholarship season typically begins in early January and awards are announced in June. Learn more at OlympicCollegeFoundation.org/scholarships or contact foundation@olympic.edu or 360-475-7120.


Placement Assessment (Accuplacer)

Accuplacer scores provide information to students and advisors that will help determine a student's placement and readiness to enter college-level courses. Most students must complete OC's placement assessment if they plan to register for English or mathematics courses or any course that requires an English or mathematics prerequisite.

There is a non-refundable $20 fee for each Accuplacer attempt. Students are permitted to take the assessment three times in a calendar year for placement purposes.

If the Accuplacer assessment was taken at another community or technical college within the last two years, these results may be used for placement into OC courses. Please contact the college at which the Accuplacer assessment was taken and have them email a score report to us at: accuplacerquestions@olympic.edu.

Students may also request to have transcripts reviewed if there is credit for prior college coursework in English or mathematics. Consult with an advisor for more information regarding transcript review for this purpose. If any other placement test was taken at another Washington state community or technical college within the past one calendar year, this may also be used for placement. Check the catalog section on Reciprocity.

If the Accuplacer or any other placement tool was not taken, or if there are no transcripts with prior credits for evaluation, then the Olympic College Accuplacer assessment must be taken. Students must have a valid photo ID and a Student ID number to take the Accuplacer for placement at OC.

For more information and to schedule your Accuplacer, please visit us online at: olympic.edu/accuplacer.

Smarter Balanced Assessment and High School Transcript Placement

Smarter Balanced Assessment (SBA) Scores can be used as placement into ENGL&101 at Olympic College. SBA scores for English expire in April following their predicted graduation year. For example, student took SBA during 11th grade in school year 2017-2018, scores then expires in Spring 2020.

Beginning winter quarter 2019, our Math Department established a process to use the student's high school transcript for placement as opposed to using SBA scores for math placement. The student needs to have taken a full year's worth of the math class and received a B or better in their last semester. This placement expires two years after the class was taken, with fall being the last quarter the student can use it. For example, Pre-Calculus was taken during 11th grade in school year 2018-2019, placement will expire Fall 2020.

There is an online form that students can us to fill out and attach their SBA scores or high school transcript. The form can be found at olympic.edu/current-students/registration/how-register/meeting-prerequisites under Assessment and Placement.


Advisors help students choose classes, map their career or educational path, and introduce them to life at OC. In addition, specialized advising is available for professional-technical programs, transfer to four-year institutions, science, engineering, math majors, military connected students, and Running Start.

New Student Advising Locations:

OC Bremerton
Advising Center
Bldg. 4 (HSS), Rm. 203
1600 Chester Ave, Bremerton, WA 98337

OC Poulsbo
1000 Olympic College Place N.W.
Poulsbo, WA 98370

OC Shelton
937 W. Alpine Way
Shelton, WA 98584


New and Returning Student Advising

For new or returning students, an academic program advisor will assist with identifying career and academic goals, beginning an academic plan, understanding the higher education system, understanding degree requirements, choosing appropriate coursework and more. In addition, an academic advisor will refer students to a faculty advisor who is an expert in the field of interest. Students are strongly encouraged to meet with a faculty advisor throughout their academic career.

Advising is highly recommended for students with fewer than 15 credits on their OC transcript. Exceptions can be made for those who are taking six or fewer credits for personal enrichment. Please see the "Stay on Track" diagram.

NOTE: International Students, Running Start and Work First students are required to meet with their funding program office each quarter.

Students interested in Science, Engineering and Math (SEM) courses or programs are encouraged to learn more about advising assistance and how to sign up for SEM classes by visiting the SEM Advising web pages at olympic.edu/mathematics-engineering-sciences-health-division/advising-steps-sem.

Transfer Student Advising

Students planning to transfer to four-year colleges and universities need to contact a program or faculty advisor in their field of interest. Academic advisors can refer students to an appropriate program or faculty advisor. Academic advisors can also assist with reviewing transcripts for degree requirements.

Colleges and universities are invited to OC quarterly to meet with students and share information about their transfer programs. If students are transferring from a college or university, visit olympic.edu/programs-classes/transfer-oc to learn how to have previous classes reviewed for OC credit or contact an advisor. Students seeking to transfer to a four-year college or university should work closely with an advisor at the planned institution before finalizing their academic plan.

Academic Plan Requirement

Students at OC are now required to develop an academic plan and have their faculty advisor approve the plan before completing 45 credits.

An academic plan is a "road map" to help students stay on track to graduate. The new requirements help students save time and money by planning ahead.

Academic Planning Steps:

  • Choose appropriate major, program of study or education goal.
  • Identify a faculty advisor in the chosen program of study.
  • Contact a faculty advisor as soon as possible to begin the academic planning process.
  • Learn to use the My Academic Plan program to develop an education plan.
  • Submit academic plan draft to faculty advisor for review and approval.

For more information, or for help with any of these steps, contact the advising office at any campus or visit olympic.edu/current-students/advising.

IMPORTANT: If an academic plan has not been approved, students will be blocked from registering for their 46th credit.

Exploring Major and Program Options (Career Counseling)

New, returning or continuing students who are undecided or exploring educational/career options may schedule to meet with a counselor at 360-475-7540. The Career Center is another way to research career fields and educational pathways. For more info, visit: olympic.edu/services/career-center.

Information About Advisors & Counselors

What is the difference between an educational advisor, a faculty advisor and a counselor?

  • Educational Advisors will assist with identifying career and academic goals, beginning an academic plan, understanding the higher education system, understanding degree requirements, choosing appropriate coursework and more. Educational Advisors also refer students to a faculty advisor who is an expert in their field of interest. Students are strongly encouraged to meet with a faculty advisor throughout their academic career.
  • Faculty advisors are full-time faculty members who advise students majoring in specific disciplines or technical areas of study. Faculty advisors review and approve academic plans within their discipline or program.
  • Counselors are licensed professionals who help students manage everyday challenges and achieve life goals. They provide personal and career counseling, academic advising along with academic and crisis intervention. Counselors also assist students who have not completed high school identify alternatives to meet state requirements. Each counselor has their own approach to counseling depending on the unique experiences of students.


See listing of faculty advisors in Transfer Planning and Degrees and Certificates sections of this catalog.

Military & Veteran Program  
Transition Manager 360-473-2827
Nursing Program 360-475-7748
Running Start  
Theresa Ramos, Director 360-475-7646
OC Shelton 360-432-5400
Math, Engineering, Science & Health 360-475-7421

Stay on Track with Advising!

Use these guidelines with your advisor to reach your academic goal!

Prepare for College!

New Student Advising

Attend a "Student Orientation to Advising and Registration" (SOAR) session. After the session, meet one-on-one with an educational advisor to plan your first quarter.

  • Determine which math and English courses to start with.
  • Request AP scores or transcripts from previous colleges.

Connect with Faculty Advisors:

Faculty advising and/or permission to enroll are required for these programs:

Cosmetology, Culinary Arts and Engineering
Students interested in any OC Healthcare program should attend an Information Session as a first step.

Note: Students new to OC on or after July 1, 2011:

A faculty advisor must approve your academic plan before you register for your 46th credit. This can be completed as early as your first quarter. Meet with your faculty advisor as early as possible to begin your education plan.

Up to 15 credits

Advising is Recommended!

Meet with an academic or faculty advisor, or schedule an appointment with a faculty counselor if you are still undecided.

  • Select a faculty advisor in major area of interest.
  • Learn to use the class schedule and catalog to choose classes.
  • Locate and use campus support services.
  • Research career options at the Career Center

By 30 credits

Begin to Develop your Education Plan

Meet with your faculty advisor to discuss majors or career choices that match your interests and abilities. Use this information to begin your academic plan.

  • Explore or identify appropriate major, program or goal.
  • Know degree or program requirements.
  • Develop an academic plan using My Academic Plan, available in ctcLink Self-Service portal.

By 45 credits

Advising is Highly Recommended!

Review and finalize your academic plan with an advisor.

  • Meet with admissions/major advisor at potential transfer universities.
  • Include university pre-requisites in your academic plan.
  • Get help with letters of recommendation and/ or admission essays.

By 60 credits

Meet with Your Faculty Advisor

Submit an application to graduate when you reach 75 credits. Ask an advisor to check your application before registering for your last quarter to be sure you are on track.

  • Submit applications to potential colleges or universities.
  • Research and apply for aid and scholarships.
  • Arrange internships in your field of study at the Career Center.
  • Make connections early! Send resume to potential employers.

By 90 credits

Meet with Your Faculty Advisor

Discuss your future plans, choices and decisions.

  • Finish final degree or program requirements for graduation.
  • Graduate!
Note: International, Running Start and Work First students are required to meet with the education program advisor each quarter to ensure compliance with the program requirements. This requirement does not replace regular meetings with a faculty advisor.


Registration includes selection of courses, completion of registration either online (ctcLink) or in person, and payment of tuition and fees.

Students must be officially enrolled to attend classes. Registration is held before the start of each quarter and registration dates are listed on the OC website.

The class schedule is available at all college campuses by request and online through the ctcLink Student Self-Service portal.

Students may register for classes offered through the Bremerton, Poulsbo and Shelton campuses.

If prospective students have not applied for admission to the college, they must do so prior to registration. See "Getting Started" for instructions.

Registration: New, Continuing and Former Students

New Students and Transfer Students

Before registration, new students and new transfer students should participate in advising at the Bremerton Advising Center or advising locations at OC Poulsbo and OC Shelton. Advising assistance for active duty military and their family members is available at NBK Bangor or NBK Bremerton by appointment at 360-473-2821.

Transfer students should take a copy of transcripts to their advising appointment. See "Transfer Student Admission" in this catalog or online at olympic.edu/programs-classes/transfer-oc for complete information. After advising, new students and new transfer students with signature, and entry codes may register for classes in-person at any campus. Payment may be made in-person or online via the ctcLink Student Self-Service portal at olympic.edu. Registration is not complete until payment is made.

Continuing Students

Continuing students can find their "time to register" on the ctcLink Student Self-Service portal at olympic.edu. Continuing students may register and pay online (using ctcLink) or in-person at any campus. See "Registration Options" on this page for more information.

Former Students

Former students who have not attended during the previous four quarters must be assigned a "time to register." Call or visit a registration office or send an email request to registration@olympic.edu. After registration, students may pay online or in-person at any campus. See "Registration Options" on this page for more information.

"Your Time to Register"

Registration times are based on the total number of credits completed and listed on the college transcript, including up to 70 transfer credits. This method allows those most in need of specific courses required for graduation or program completion to have the first opportunity to register each quarter.

Per RCW 28B.15.624, Olympic College offers an early course registration period for eligible veterans using veteran benefits, and National Guard members.

Registration Options

1. Web Registration (ctcLink Student Self-Service portal)

Continuing and former students with 15 or more transcribed credits can select classes, register, and pay using the ctcLink Student Self Service portal: ptprd.ctclink.us. (Also see "Get Started".)

Register online from home, campus computers or kiosks. Go to ptprd.ctclink.us to see a complete list of ctcLink options including: grades, print unofficial transcripts, add and drop classes, and pay online. For online course information, search by class schedule.

2. In Person

Students may register in person at any campus registration office.

Waitlists and Over-Enrollment

Students may be placed on a waitlist for a "full" course if the prerequisite has been met. If an opening occurs, the student's name will automatically move from the waitlist to the class roster.

Students should check their schedule listed on the ctcLink Self Service portal regularly for their registration status. The automatic registration may increase the tuition owed.

Tuition must be paid within two business days or by the payment deadline for that quarter, or the waitlisted registration will be administratively dropped.

  1. Waitlist restrictions
  • Time conflicts: (overlapping times): If the selected waitlist contains a time conflict with another class, registration staff may remove the restricted class/ waitlist from the student's registration schedule.
  • Three-course limit: Students are limited to three waitlisted enrollment entries at any one time.
  1. Over-Enrollment: Waitlisted students who have not gained entry to a course before the first day of the quarter should attend the first class. The instructor may sign an "Over-Enrollment" form which will permit the student to register. The Over-Enrollment form must be submitted to the Ranger Station - Registration & Records office immediately. Students should email instructors for over-enrollment in online classes.
  2. For more information, see olympic.edu/current-students/registration/how-register.

Entry Code

Entry codes may be obtained from an advisor or the instructor of the course and expire after one use. The code provides a way for students to register online or in person for: a) a class that requires instructor permission, or b) a class that has a prerequisite block.

Prerequisite Block

Many classes require completion of a prerequisite.

  • For specific prerequisites, see class details in the online schedule at Olympic.edu.
  • For more information on English and mathematics prerequisites, see "Assessment" in this catalog.
  • If the prerequisite was completed at another college or university, present the appropriate transcript to the faculty or Advising Center advisor to obtain permission to enroll.

Add, Drop, Complete Withdrawal, Late-starting Classes

Add/drop dates are listed on the Academic Calendar available on the OC website.

In general, the following procedures apply:

Before Courses Start

  • Students may add (providing prerequisites/ admission requirements have been met), drop, or completely withdraw via ctcLink or in person.

Day One Through Day Three of the Quarter

  • Students may register for open courses day one through day three. Note: During the first week of the quarter, some classes may not be available after a designated day.
  • Waitlisted students may register for full courses only with instructor signature or "Over-Enrollment" form.
  • Students may drop courses via ctcLink or in person at the Ranger Station.

Day Four Through Day 10 of the Quarter

  • Students may add courses with instructor signature via in-person registration.
  • Students may drop courses via ctcLink or in-person.
  • Withdrawal from courses allowed for the first 10 days without transcript notation.

Day 11 Through 60% of the Quarter

After 60% of the Quarter

  • Course withdrawal with "W" grade noted on the transcript requires approval of the Registrar. The "Registrar's Petition" form must be completed and filed with the Registrar for consideration.

Complete Withdrawal

To withdraw from all courses after the tenth day of the quarter, students must withdraw on the ctcLink Self-Service portal or complete an "Add/Drop" form and return it to the Ranger Station - Registration & Records office, or write and mail a letter to the Ranger Station asking for complete withdrawal. Students who stop attending courses but do not withdraw officially may be assigned a fail grade by their instructor. Students who receive veteran benefits or financial aid must obtain a signature from the appropriate office prior to withdrawal.

Financial aid recipients who stop attending all courses prior to 60% of the quarter will usually owe a repayment of financial aid.

Late-starting/Continuous Enrollment Courses

Late-starting and continuous enrollment courses are open for registration according to the dates printed in OC's quarterly class schedule or on a pro-rated schedule based on the class start date.


Regular attendance in all classes of enrollment is required. Non-attendance does not constitute an official drop from a course or withdrawal from the college. Filing an official drop form is expected and required.

Administrative Drop for Non-Attendance

Instructors may file an administrative drop if students (a) do not attend the first three class periods of a day course or the first two periods of an evening course, or (b) have not met the required course prerequisite.

In the event of an unavoidable absence, students have the option to contact their instructors to request an exception to this action so they will not be dropped from the class for non-attendance.

CAUTION: Not all instructors will use the administrative drop option and will award a "fail" grade for non-attendance. Students should not expect to be administratively withdrawn for non-attendance.

Tuition and Fees

OC offers tuition rates for resident, U.S. citizen non-residents and international students. Tuition and fees may be paid using Visa, MasterCard, debit card (with Visa logo), check, money order or cash.

Please visit OC's website at olympic.edu/paying-college/tuition-fees for current tuition and fee rates.

OC tuition and fee rates are subject to change by the Board of Trustees and/or the Washington State Legislature.

Tuition Payment Plan

The Tuition Payment Plan allows students to make automatic monthly payments on your tuition related charges only and is available through Nelnet Business Solutions. Down payment is due at time of payment plan sign-up with a $25.00 sign-up fee per quarter. If your enrollment fee or down payment fails, your Tuition Payment Plan will be terminated and you will be subject to the college's policy for non payment and will risk being dropped from classes. You must sign up each quarter for the Tuition Payment Plan. For more information contact the Cashier's office at 360-475-7181 or online at cashieroffice@olympic.edu.

Fee Information

All students in credit classes are charged the following fees each quarter, including summer session. Any increases to fees will become effective fall quarter.

Student Service: $2/credit (up to 10 credits, maximum $20)
Technology*: $3.50/credit up to 10 credits (maximum $35)

*Technology Fee exemptions: apprentice trade theory courses, zero-credit, and adult basic education.

Security Enhancement: $20 The Security Enhancement Fee is charged for courses held at OC Bremerton, OC Poulsbo, and OC Shelton.

Testing Fees

  • Accuplacer: $20 (non-refundable)
  • Accuplacer Test Retake: $20 (nonrefundable)
  • Biology Placement Test Fee: $10
  • Chemistry Placement Test Fee: $10
  • Proctor Test Fee: $25 (non-OC, outside institutions)
  • GED test series, visit: olympic.edu/ged

Other Fees

  • Online: $8/credit
  • Adult Basic Education: $25/quarter (includes all tuition/fees)
  • USB Fee: $8

* Fees listed in this publication are accurate as of the time of printing. For updated fees, visit: olympic.edu/paying-college/tuition-fees.

Class Fees

Some classes require additional fees. If applicable, the specific amount of the fee appears in the class listing at olympic.edu.

Drop for Non-payment

Students are responsible for officially withdrawing from any classes they are not attending. If you do not officially withdraw, you are responsible for any outstanding tuition and fees. Contact the Ranger Station - Registration & Records to officially withdraw.

How to Pay

  • Online: OC accepts only Visa and Mastercard. Go to olympic.edu/paying-college/how-pay/cashiers-office.
  • By phone: Cashier 360-475-7181 and pay by Visa or Mastercard. The Cashier's Office experiences a high volume of calls during peak registration, please be patient.
  • In person: At the Bremerton Cashier's Office, Shelton main office and Poulsbo Student Services Office. OC accepts check, money order, cash, personal checks for the exact amount of tuition and fees, Visa and MasterCard or debit card.

NOTE: Active-duty students may be eligible to use military tuition assistance to pay for classes. For details, contact the Military & Veteran Program Education Specialist at 360-473-2821.


Refunds are issued for partial or full withdrawal from classes only if the student officially withdraws; either online through ctcLink or in-person by submitting an "Add/Drop" form to the Ranger Station - Registration & Records office. Online access is available at olympic.edu.

For Credit Courses

Refunds may be made for tuition and fees according to the official refund policy listed below:

  • 100% refund prior to the first day of the quarter
  • 80% refund 1st through the 5th day of the quarter
  • •40% refund 6th through the 10th day of the quarter

For Courses Less than 13 Weeks in Length

  • Refund is prorated

For Continuing Education (Zero Credit) Classes

  • 100% - classes and workshops canceled by OC
  • 90% - withdrawal five days prior to class start date
  • 0% - after class starts

Transfers to other continuing education classes five days prior to class start date are allowed.

Refund Processing Time

  • Original payment made by check: The refund will be made by check and mailed to the address on file with the college within ten business days of the request.
  • Original payment made by cash or debit card: The refund will be made by check and mailed to the address on file with the college within three business days of the request.
  • Original payment made by credit card: the refund will be made in the form of a credit back to the charge card that originally paid tuition.

Tuition Waivers

OC participates in several tuition waivers. Please visit OC's website for a current listing of waiver rates at olympic.edu/paying-college/tuition-funding-opportunities.

Mandatory Waivers

  • Running Start: Eligible low income students meeting fee waiver criteria will have all mandatory fees and tuition waived for enrollment in credits over 15 or over combined 1.2 Full Time Equivalent (FTE). Does not include consumable program fees. Contact the Running Start Office or visit OC's website at: olympic.edu/current-students/running-start for the fee waiver application form.
  • Gold Star Family: All tuition and fees are waived for a child or spouse of an eligible veteran or National Guard member who became totally disabled or lost their life while engaged in active federal military or naval service. For information, contact 360473-2821, MVP@olympic.edu, olympic.edu/services/military-and-veteran-programs.
  • Children and spouse of deceased or disabled law enforcement officers of firefighters: A 50% waiver of tuition for children or surviving spouses of deceased or disabled law enforcement officers or firefighters who have died or become totally disabled in the line of duty. The student must begin their course of study within 10 years of high school graduation.
  • Wrongfully convicted individual, their children and stepchildren: All tuition and fees are waived for a wrongfully convicted individual awarded compensation per RCW 4.100.060, their children and stepchildren. Following limitations apply: wrongfully convicted person must be a Washington domiciliary; the child must be a Washington domiciliary ages 17 through 26 years of age, continued participation subject to school's satisfactory progress policy; recipients may attend full or part time; total credits earned may not exceed 200 quarter credits.

Optional Waivers

  • Adult Basic Education
  • Active Duty Military/Dependents and WA National Guard/Dependents
  • Athletic Waiver (must have approval of Athletic Dept.)
  • High School Completion (maximum credits: Resident-45, non-resident-45)
  • Adult High School waiver eligibility is determined by an OC counselor. Must be 19 years of age or older.
  • Parent Education Co-Op
  • Senior Citizens (audit only): (60 years of age or older; limited to two classes quarterly on a space available basis)
  • Veterans, for current information on veterans waivers, please visit OC's website at: olympic.edu/services/military-and-veteran-programs.

Vocational Waivers (More Than 18 Credits)

  • A partial waiver of tuition may be approved for vocational students in programs that require registration in more than 18 credits a quarter. Forms are available at the Workforce Development Office, Bldg. 5 (CSC), Rm. 421.

Washington State Residency for Tuition Purposes

Washington state residency status determines the students' cost of tuition for most college credit classes. Information about residency is available online at olympic.edu/current-students/registration/residency.

Military personnel stationed in Washington state and their dependents who present military ID at registration will be granted a waiver of non-resident tuition and will receive the resident rate. Residency must be verified and proven each quarter of enrollment.

Individuals who are non-residents or U.S. citizens MAY qualify for resident tuition if they meet certain criteria. Contact the Ranger Station for more information.

State Contribution to Tuition

Pursuant to RCW 28B.15.0681 the average cost of educating a resident full-time student for the 2017-2018 academic year is $8,063. Students pay an average of $3,123 in tuition towards this cost. The remaining $4,490 is an "opportunity pathway" provided by the state and is funded by state taxes and other sources.