2020-2021 Olympic College Catalog 
    Jun 12, 2021  
2020-2021 Olympic College Catalog

Academic Information

Academic information in this section provides an overview of academic and student procedures and requirements.

Award of Credit for Learning Outside Olympic College (Prior Learning Assessment)

Olympic College recognizes that several bodies provide accreditation for institutions of higher learning. To provide social equity, educational effectiveness, and to maximize credit for prior learning and training, OC awards credit as follows.

Transfer from Accredited Institutions

Regionally Accredited U.S. Institutions of Higher Education

OC honors academic credits earned at other regionally accredited institutions and subscribes to statewide policies on transfer of credit among Washington public and private colleges and universities approved by the Joint Transfer Counsel (JTC), the Intercollege Relations Commission (ICRC) and the Articulation and Transfer Council (ATC). Courses accepted in transfer must be substantially equivalent in academic level and content to course work offered at OC, except that courses in subjects not offered, such as Chinese language, or courses similar in level and intent but not offered at OC, such as HIST&220, African American History, will be accepted in the general category. A grade of 2.0 or higher is required in each transferred course, except that up to 20 credits may be transferred with a grade of 1.0 to 1.99. English&101 (College Composition) will be accepted only with a grade of 2.0 or higher. Courses with a grade below 2.0 may not be used to meet prerequisites. Please see the following section on "Procedure for Transcript Evaluation" for additional information. Courses identified as non-credit are subject to the "Non-Traditional Learning" section that follows.

International Institutions of Higher Education

Credit for study completed in appropriate subjects and levels at universities and colleges outside the United States will be considered for transfer credit. Work completed at foreign colleges and universities must be evaluated through a foreign credentials service. The reports translated into English from this service must be submitted for further evaluation.

Limitations on Transfer of Courses or Credits

Transfer credit is not usually accepted for the following types of study or coursework:

1) courses taken at colleges or universities that are not regionally accredited; 2) non-credit courses and workshops; 3) remedial or college preparatory courses; and 4) sectarian religious studies. For exceptions, please see "Credit for Non-traditional learning" in this section. (Award of Credit Policy - Adopted by IPC - 3/09, updated 6/11)

Common Course Numbering

All Washington state community and technical colleges use a Common Course Numbering system. The system identifies courses that are equivalent at community colleges throughout the state to make it easier for students to transfer between two-year colleges. The courses with an ampersand "&" after the prefix code are part of the Common Course Numbering system. However, courses without an "&" will continue to transfer between two-year and four-year colleges under individual Direct Transfer Agreements as in the past.

Agreements to Accept Courses from Other Colleges or Institutions

  • Students completing prerequisites and required courses at Peninsula College in preparation for the OC Physical Therapist Assistant program should follow one of the two pathways that have been developed.
  • Students enrolling in the Early Childhood Education (ECE) program who have completed the United States Department of Defense Standardized Caregiver Modules are eligible to receive 13 credits in ECE courses with a completed application and payment if completed in the prior six years.

Other Ways to Earn Credit

Advanced Placement Credit - Credit may be earned through the Advanced Placement (AP) program offered by the College Board. Please have the College Board submit test scores directly to the Ranger Station - Registration & Records office. For OC credits offered by AP score, visit olympic.edu, and search by 'AP scores.'

International Baccalaureate Credit - Students may be eligible for OC course credit for work completed through the International Baccalaureate (IB) program for a combination of subject grades and general education credits. Please request that the IB organization submit an official IB transcript directly to the Ranger Station - Registration & Records office. See Step 3 of the "Procedures for Transcript Evaluation" in this section.

Tech Prep Credit - Through the "Direct Transcript of Tech Prep Credit" agreement, high school and college credit may be earned at the same time. High school or technical school students who have earned a "B" grade or higher in specific Tech Prep courses may submit an application for college credit through their school career center counselor. Articulated Tech Prep courses are matched to OC professional/ technical courses and are transcribed to the student's college transcript for college credit.

Credit for Non-Traditional Learning (Alternate Learning Credit)

OC awards credit for four types of non-traditional learning:

  1. Credit by Testing

    Commonly accepted higher education equivalency exams that are documented via a transcript or other official record. Actual credits awarded will depend on scores and departmental requirements. These requirements are subject to change and will be posted on the OC website.
    • Advanced Placement (AP)
    • International Baccalaureate (IB)
    • College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
    • Cambridge "A" Level Exam

Veterans: Includes Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support Subjects Standardized Test (DANTES SST)

  1. Credit for Prior Experiential Learning (PEL)

    Knowledge and skills acquired through experience alone, evaluated subjectively by faculty via evaluation of a compilation of work.

    When possible, OC will use crosswalks and other equivalencies previously determined to award credit for knowledge and skills gained through work and life experience, and those gained through education or training at unaccredited institutions. Examples include American Council on Education (ACE) recommendations for Military Experience, Armed Forces schools, Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support Subjects Standardized Test (DANTES SST) scores, College Level Examination Program (CLEP), Credit by Examination, and Credit by Vertical Challenge. See items 1, 3, and 4.

    When no such equivalency has been established, credit for such knowledge and skills must be evaluated on a case-by-case basis by a faculty advisor in the discipline. The following limitations apply:
    • Students must be enrolled at OC (or accepted to a competitive entry program) before credit evaluation is considered.
    • There is no assurance that any credit may be granted until after the credit evaluation review.
    • Credit may be granted only for documented student achievement equivalent to expected learning achievement in curricular areas offered at OC.
    • Credit is granted only on recommendation of qualified teaching faculty appropriate to the degree goal.
    • Credit from prior experiential learning is identified on the student transcript and is limited to 25% of the credits needed for a degree or certificate.
  2. Extra-Institutional Learning

    Knowledge and skills acquired outside the institution and objectively verified through third-party certifications, industry-recognized testing/training, or crosswalks.
    • Individual industry certifications (e.g., NCLEX-RN)
    • Occupational Crosswalks (Police, Fire, AmeriCorps, etc.)

Veterans: Includes Military Service and American Council on Education (ACE) recommendations for JST Military School courses and for Military Experience.

  1. Course Challenges

    Challenge examinations are sufficiently comprehensive to determine that the student has the same knowledge and skills as those students who enroll in and successfully complete the course. The student should have previous training, private study, work experience, or other bona fide qualifications indicating that the student has the knowledge or abilities equivalent to course completers.


Transcript Evaluation - Students must submit transcripts for all post-secondary institutions they attended before an evaluation of transfer credit will be processed.

NOTE: Depending on the time of application and the high volume of requests, transcript evaluations can take up to 8-10 weeks after the arrival of all transcripts and the submittal of the "transcript evaluation request" form available on our website.

  1. New students enrolled for their first quarter at the College should not request an official evaluation until the second week of their first quarter of enrollment at OC.
  2. Current or formerly enrolled OC students may request transcript evaluation at any time.
  3. Steps for transcript evaluation:
    1. Obtain the "Transfer Credit Evaluation" form from any college campus registration office or print a copy from the college website.
    2. Fill out the required information and indicate if copies of the completed evaluation should also be sent to a faculty advisor, another college employee, or separate entity.
    3. Submit the form to the Ranger Station - Registration & Records office by mail, fax (360-475-7202) or in-person.
    4. Request official transcripts from all institutions attended (above the high school level) be sent directly to: Ranger Station - Registration & Records Office, Olympic College, 1600 Chester Ave., Bremerton, WA 98337. NOTE: The issuing institution may charge a transcript processing fee. OC cannot request official transcripts on the student's behalf. If students wish to submit an official copy of the transcript in person, an original transcript in a sealed envelope from the issuing institution is required.
    5. When all transcripts are received and the tenth day of the quarter has passed (for new students), the request will be queued for processing.
    6. The number of credits accepted from each institution will be notated on the OC transcript.

All transcripts must be submitted in English. Special procedures are required for international universities. Contact the Evaluations staff for information at 360-475-7200.

Credit by Examination - Current OC students may apply to take a comprehensive examination covering the subject matter contained in a course designated by the division/discipline as eligible for credit by examination. Not all courses are eligible for such credit. An examination of this type for a particular course may be taken only once during any 12-month period. The procedure is as follows:

  • Obtain the required "Credit by Examination" form from the division that offers the course.
  • Make an appointment with the division's dean to discuss the examination and if appropriate, confer with a faculty member of the discipline in which the course is offered.
  • Upon approval of the division dean, take the completed form to the Cashier and pay the special examination fee.
  • Return the form and Cashier's receipt to the division office.
  • Take the examination(s).

Credit by Vertical Challenge - Current OC students may apply to earn credit for certain courses designated by the division and discipline as appropriate for vertical challenge. Through this process, students may be permitted to register for a designated advanced course and receive credits with a grade of "P" for the bypassed course. A numerical grade of 3.0 or higher in the advanced course is required for consideration of the vertical challenge credit for the bypassed course. The only grade that can be earned in the bypassed course is "P." To apply for vertical challenge credit:

  • Make an appointment with the appropriate division dean to discuss what courses are approved to bypass.
  • Obtain the "Credit by Vertical Challenge" form from the division dean's office. Complete the form and obtain the dean's signature prior to the third week of the quarter.
  • Take the form to the Registrar's Office and enroll in the advanced course.
  • Take the vertical challenge form and the registration receipt to the Cashier and pay the required transcription fee.
  • When the quarter is completed, the student will receive notification of the final decision and appropriate courses will be posted to the transcript.

Professional-Technical Credit - Credit may be awarded in professional-technical programs for experience and/or competency gained outside OC. Credit may be granted for courses taken in proprietary colleges, military service schools or journeyman-level work experience. Contact the advisor of a specific professional/technical program for more information. The advisor may recommend completion of credit by examination or vertical challenge as part of this process.

Placement Reciprocity Agreement Policy

Placement reciprocity allows you to request placement into pre-college and college-level courses at OC based on your placement at another Washington Community or Technical College.

How to Qualify

The original placement (test score or prior course completion) must be dated within 12 months of your request.

You must provide a copy of the document that provides specific placement recommendation information from the sending institution. For test scores this should be on your score/placement sheet. For previous coursework, please provide a copy of relevant course sequence information, if available.

You must have applied to OC for the upcoming or current quarter and have a ctcLink ID.

If applicable, you must have submitted any necessary transcripts from Washington Community or Technical Colleges for evaluation (credit earned at other institutions with a completion of a 2.0 (C) or higher each semester or quarter) using the "Transfer Credit Evaluation Request." For reciprocity placement purposes only, an unofficial or official transcript may be used for review.

You must submit the form in person to the Ranger Station at the Bremerton, Poulsbo or Shelton campuses OR mail to Registration & Records, OR email evaluators@olympic.edu. Please contact the Ranger Station - Registration & Records office or evaluators@olympic.edu to receive a copy of the form to be filled out.

How We Notify You

You will be notified by email when the request has been processed. If the request is complete, you will be provided with a course entry code to register for the appropriate course.


  • Course numbers are not always the same across Washington state colleges - your placement will be into the OC course that is the closest equivalent to where you placed at the previous school.
  • Entry codes are good for one quarter only. If you do not enroll, you will need to make the request again for the next quarter if you still qualify.
  • Once you successfully complete a math and English course at OC you no longer will need to request reciprocity placement for subsequent terms.


Decimal to letter grade comparison
  3.9 - 4.0 A    
  3.5 - 3.8 A-  
  3.2 - 3.4 B+  
  2.9 - 3.1 B  
  2.5 - 2.8 B-  
  2.2 - 2.4 C+  
  1.9 - 2.1 C  
  1.5 - 1.8 C-  
  1.2 - 1.4 D+  
  0.9 - 1.1 D  
  0.7 - 0.8 D-  
  0.0** F  
**NOTE: Grades of 0.1 through 0.6 are not used.

Grades on ctcLink

Grades are available three to five days after the end of the final examination period and may be accessed via your ctcLink Student Self Service portal at olympic.edu. Grade reports are not mailed.

Decimal Grades

OC uses a decimal grading system. The decimal grade chart in this section lists a letter grade for comparison purposes only; letter grades do not appear on the official transcript.

Other Grade Designations

* (Grade Not Reported)

The "*" asterisk symbol is used when the reporting of a grade is not required (i.e., a community service course), or when a grade has not been submitted to the Registrar by a faculty member in time for inclusion on a student's grade report or transcript.

I (Incomplete)

The "I" grade is used to indicate that a grade has been deferred. The instructor may choose to award an "I" grade to a student who is making progress, but for reasons beyond the student's control, is unable to complete course requirements on time. To award an "I" grade, the instructor must submit an "Incomplete Grade Contract" to the Ranger Station - Registration & Records office. The instructor must specify the work to be completed and the grade to which the "I" will revert if the work is not completed by the specified time. The "I" grade does not count for college credit, nor is it computed in the grade point average (GPA).

NOTE: Usually, an incomplete contract is for a maximum of 120 days. If the grade is not received from the instructor or the specified work is not completed by the student within 120 days, the grade will revert from an "I" to the grade noted on the contract or if a default grade is not noted, the grade will revert to a fail (0.0).

N (Audit)

To audit a course means to participate without evaluation. The "N" grade is not counted for college credit, nor is it computed in the grade point average. To audit a course, a student must submit an audit request form to the Ranger Station - Registration & Records office by the tenth instructional day of the quarter. If the course is classified as late-starting or continuous enrollment, the form must be submitted prior to 20 percent of the course being completed. Payment of regular tuition and fees is required.

P/NC (Pass/No Credit)

For a course designated by the college as "Pass/ No Credit," the grades of "P" or "NC" must be assigned. In addition, a student may select the "Pass/No Credit" option for a course by submitting a "Pass/No Credit" form to the Ranger Station - Registration & Records office by the tenth instructional day of the quarter. For zero-credit, Adult Basic Education and community service courses, a "P" or "NC" grade is assigned. For credit courses, the "P" grade may be assigned and is defined as a grade point of 2.0 or higher. The "P" grade is not used in the grade point average (GPA) calculation.

NOTE: Upon transfer, some educational institutions may convert the "P" grade to a "C" for purposes of grade point average (GPA) calculation.

NC (No Credit)

The "NC" grade is assigned for failure to complete satisfactorily a zero-credit course, or a course designated by the college or selected by the student as "Pass/No Credit." The "NC" grade is not counted for college credit, nor is it included in the GPA.

W (Official Withdrawal)

An instructor cannot assign a "W" grade. The "W" grade will be assigned automatically by the Ranger Station - Registration & Records office when a student officially withdraws from a course between the 10th and 30th instructional day of the quarter or prior to the completion of 60 percent of the course. Except for compelling reasons, a student is not allowed to drop a course or withdraw completely from the college after the 31st instructional day or after 60 percent of the course has been completed. Examples of compelling reasons include documented proof of death in the immediate family, serious illness, injury or surgery, or unexpected and mandatory job shift or change.

WP (Discontinued Attendance - Passing)

The "WP" grade may be assigned by the instructor to indicate that the student did not complete enough of the course to be graded and achieved a passing grade while in attendance. The "WP" grade is not counted for college credit, nor is it computed in the GPA. (See "General Academic Progress" in this section.)

WF (Discontinued Attendance - Failing)

The "WF" grade may be assigned by the instructor to indicate that the student did not complete enough of the course to be graded and did not achieve a passing grade while in attendance. The "WF" grade is not counted for college credit, nor is it computed in the GPA. (See "General Academic Progress" in this section.)

Grade Change

Only the instructor may change a grade. Submission of the grade change is limited to the next quarter (excluding summer quarter) after the grade has been officially tendered to the student. This procedure does not apply to "I" grades.

Grade Forgiveness

Although grades are not removed from a transcript, former OC students who have not been in full-time attendance at any college for the preceding two or more years may petition to amend the GPA. Students may petition once they have successfully completed, with a 2.0 GPA or higher, at least 12 quarter credits at OC. To request grade forgiveness, submit a written request to the Dean of Enrollment Services, specifying a "cut-off" date. If the request is approved, a "cut-off" line will be drawn across the transcript and the notation made that grades recorded prior to the date established by the line will not be used in computing the GPA. For graduation purposes, students may use credits completed prior to the selected date. The request must specify the desired credits and courses to be retained. Grade forgiveness may not be used to qualify for an honors designation. Caution: For purposes of transfer, other educational institutions may not recognize the OC grade forgiveness policy.

Repeated Courses

A student may repeat a course up to two times (that is, a student may take the same course a maximum of three times). If a grade of 2.0 or a designated grade required as a prerequisite to another course is not achieved after three attempts, the student may request an opportunity to repeat again by submitting a written rationale and an unofficial transcript to a fulltime professor in the subject. The instructor's signature is required to register. Credits can only be earned once, and the highest grade awarded is the final grade used in the grade point average.

Course Substitutions

As appropriate, faculty in professional-technical programs may choose to substitute one course for another in degrees and certificates, including AAS and ATA degrees, and all certificates. Contact your program advisor for information.

Honors Designations

Quarterly Designations

Quarterly honors designations recognize scholastic achievement of OC students at the associate level. Students who qualify for quarterly honors will receive a letter of commendation. Criteria for the awards include:

  • Completion of 12 credits during the quarter for which the award is given
  • The grades for these credits must calculate in the overall GPA
  • Grade point average requirements:
    - President's Scholars: 3.9 - 4.0 GPA
    - Deans' Scholars: 3.5 - 3.89 GPA

Graduation Designations

The "graduation with honors" designation recognizes those students who have achieved a certain college-level GPA. Any honors notation will be placed with the graduate's name in the Commencement Ceremony program. Honors graduation is also noted on the student transcript. Criteria for the awards include:

  • Only credits earned at OC will count towards the award
  • All college level credit earned at OC will be included in the GPA calculation
  • At least 24 GPA credits of 100-level coursework or higher must have been earned at OC for an associate designation. At least 45 credits of 100-level coursework or higher must have been earned at OC for a bachelor designation.

For the associate degree programs, honors designations are:

  • President's Scholars: 3.9 - 4.0
  • Deans' Scholars: 3.5 - 3.89

President's Scholars may wear a gold honor cord, and Deans' Scholars a silver honor cord at the graduation ceremony. President's Scholars with a 4.0 GPA will be awarded the President's Medal.

For the bachelor degree programs, honors designations are:

  • Cum Laude: With Praise 3.5-3.74 GPA
  • Magna Cum Laude: With Great Praise 3.75-3.89 GPA
  • Summa Cum Laude: With Highest Praise 3.9-4.0 GPA

General Academic Progress

These standards are used to identify students who experience academic difficulty and to provide additional support and assistance to improve academic standing. The policy also determines academic suspension in cases where students are unable to achieve satisfactory performance. The "General Academic Progress" brochure is available in the Ranger Station - Registration & Records office.

NOTE: Individual college programs such as high school completion, financial aid, veteran programs and certain professional/technical programs may have different academic standard requirements and appeal procedures. Students in these programs should contact their program advisor for information regarding those requirements.

Academic Alert

A student is placed on academic alert status at the end of any quarter in which their quarterly GPA falls below 2.0 when 6 credits or more are attempted. A student is removed from academic alert at the end of the quarter in which a 2.0 GPA or higher is achieved.

Academic Warning

A student on academic alert status must earn a quarterly GPA of 2.0 or higher the succeeding quarter or the student will be placed on academic warning when 6 or more credits are attempted. A student is removed from academic warning at the end of the quarter in which a 2.0 GPA or higher is achieved.

Academic Suspension

  • A student on academic warning, who does not achieve a quarterly GPA of 2.0 or higher will be suspended for the next academic quarter when 6 or more credits are attempted.
  • Following a one-quarter suspension, the student may re-enroll using the reenrollment procedures.
  • A student re-admitted after one quarter of academic suspension re-enters the college on academic probation. If after being re-admitted, the student fails to achieve a quarterly GPA of 2.0 or higher when 6 or more credits are attempted, the re-admitted student will be suspended for one year.

Grade Appeal Procedure


The purpose of the grade appeal procedure is to provide students with an orderly, prompt, and fair process for raising concerns about final grades and to protect each student against arbitrary or capricious academic evaluation. Arbitrary or capricious action is action taken without consideration or in disregard of the facts and circumstances. An action is not arbitrary or capricious when there is room for two opinions and the instructor acted honestly and with due consideration of the facts.

Appeal expectations and conditions:

A grade appeal applies to ONLY the final course grade.

The instructor is responsible for the assignment of a student's final grade and any adjustments that may result from the appeal.

The student is responsible for providing the College with current and accurate contact information during the appeal process.

In a grade appeal, if necessary, the dean will meet with the student; generally, no other advocate may be present. At the dean's discretion, others may be included. A signed FERPA release (Permission to Release Student Records) will be required in this case.

If necessary, the dean will also meet with the instructor.


Informal Resolution - Meeting with Instructor
Before pursuing a formal grade appeal with the dean, a student must first meet with and review his or her grade with the instructor who assigned the grade. During this meeting, the student should explain the reason he or she believes the final grade should be revised. The purpose of this meeting is to clarify the perceived problem and request specific action. Many misunderstandings related to a final grade can be resolved through this informal resolution process.

Formal Appeal to the Dean
If the student and the instructor are unable to resolve the student's concerns during the informal resolution process, the student may pursue the formal grade appeal process. The formal grade appeal must be done in writing to the instructor's dean, with a copy to the instructor, within the first three instructional weeks of the subsequent quarter, including Summer Session. Because many faculty members are not on campus during Summer Session, some Spring Quarter grade appeals may not be resolved until Fall Quarter. The appeal letter shall include the following information:

  • Student's name
  • Student's current mailing address
  • Student's current email address
  • Instructor's Name
  • Course name and number
  • The quarter the class was completed and grade received
  • A description of the grade dispute
  • A summary of the actions the student has taken to resolve the grade dispute, and
  • Proposed solution

The student should also provide all relevant documentation related to the grade dispute such as graded assignments, test results, and the syllabus.

Upon receipt of the written appeal, the dean will forward the student's written appeal and supporting documentation to the instructor. The instructor must provide a written response to the dean and the student within ten (10) instructional days. Within twenty-one (21) days of receiving the instructor's response, the dean will review the documentation presented by the student and instructor and will meet with the student and, if necessary, the instructor. The dean will provide a written ruling to the student, with a copy to the instructor, within ten (10) days of the appeal meeting with the student.

The sole issue for the dean to consider during the appeal process is whether the instructor's grade is arbitrary or capricious. Arbitrary or capricious action is action taken without consideration or in disregard of the facts and circumstances. An action is not arbitrary and capricious when there is room for two opinions and the instructor acted honestly and with due consideration of the facts.

Appeal of the Dean's Ruling
A student may appeal the dean's written ruling by submitting a notice of appeal to the dean identifying specific grounds of appeal for further review. The notice of appeal must be delivered to the dean's office within ten days after the student's receipt of the dean's written ruling. The student will be presumed to have received a copy of the written ruling five days after the ruling is placed in the mail.

Upon receipt of a timely notice of appeal, the dean will appoint a review team of three faculty members from the discipline or related disciplines. When the number of faculty within a discipline allows, at least two members of the review team should be from the discipline. The team's review is limited to the documentation submitted by the student and the instructor and the dean's written ruling. The sole issue before the review team is whether the grade issued to the student by the instructor was arbitrary or capricious.

Faculty review team will distribute a written ruling to the student and instructor within 15 instructional days with a copy to the dean. If the faculty review team does not find the instructor's grade arbitrary or capricious, then the written ruling by the faculty review team is the final step in the appeal process. No further appeal may be made after that.

In the event the grade is found to be arbitrary or capricious and the instructor of record refuses to reconsider the awarded grade or is unavailable to reconsider the awarded grade, the student's work will be independently evaluated by another qualified instructor in the discipline, and the office of the Registrar may initiate a grade changed based on the qualified instructor's assessment.

Enrollment in Courses

Students are not guaranteed the unrestricted right to enroll in any specific course or program. Within the Washington Administration Code and the policies of the State Board for Community and Technical Colleges, OC reserves the right to deny admission to or cancel the registration of any individual whose enrollment is inconsistent with the best interests of the student, other students, or the established policies of the college.

Student Records

The Ranger Station - Registration & Records office maintains official student transcripts and academic records for all students who have or are attending OC.

All student record requests are submitted to this office, including: official transcripts, verification of enrollment, change of name and address, application to graduate, and credit evaluation.

Use ctcLink to Access Records

Students may use the ctcLink Student Self Service portal to view their transcripts, quarterly course schedules, grades, and similar information.

Self-serve ctcLink kiosks are available at convenient locations on OC campuses and students may access ctcLink via any computer with an Internet connection. To view online, visit: ptprd.ctclink.us.


Online using Parchment at olympiccollege.link/ordertranscripts. Log in or register and follow the instructions, and pay the service fee using a credit card. Transcripts will be sent out in three to five business days.

Unofficial transcripts are free and may be printed from the ctcLink Student Self Service portal. Official transcripts may be ordered directly from the college: in-person, by letter, or online with the transcript request form: requests made directly to the college will be processed in three to five days. For the form, go to olympic.edu/current-students/student-records/transcripts. To order, submit to the Ranger Station at OC Bremerton or fax to 360-475-7202. Information to include on the form:

  • SID (Student Identification Number)
  • Social security number
  • Birth date
  • Dates of attendance
  • Previous names used
  • Current mailing address/phone number of where the transcript is to be sent
  • The signature of the student is required to release the transcript (as required by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.)

The cost per transcript is noted on OC's website. Pay in person at the Cashier's Office. Cash, personal check, money order, Visa or MasterCard card accepted (include credit card number, expiration date, and three-digit security code found on the back of the card).

Credit card payments may also be made by calling the Cashier. Official transcripts will not be sent by fax.

Confidentiality of Student Records

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) gives students certain rights with respect to their education records, including the right to:

  1. Inspect and review the student's education records within 45 days of the date the college receives a request for access. The student should submit a written request to the Registrar identifying the record(s) they wish to inspect. The Registrar will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected.
  2. Request the amendment of the student's education records that the student believes are inaccurate, misleading or otherwise in violation of the student's privacy or other rights. To request amendment, students should write the Registrar, clearly identify the part of the record they wish changed, and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading. If the college decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the college will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to an appeal regarding the request for amendment and include additional information regarding the appeal procedures.
  3. Consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student's education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. One exception, which permits disclosure without consent, is disclosure to college officials with legitimate educational interests.
  4. Prevent release of directory information. Directory information released by the college includes: name, major field of study, full- or part-time status, participation in recognized sports, weight and height of athletic team members, dates of attendance, degrees, awards and honors received, dates degrees conferred, veteran status, and birthdate. OC may release this information at any time unless the college has received prior written notice from the student, filed in the Ranger Station - Registration & Records office, requesting that directory information not be released. All other information may be released only upon the written consent of the student unless described above or in compliance with a court order.
  5. File a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by OC to comply with the requirements of FERPA, write to:
         Family Policy Compliance Office
         U.S. Department of Education
         600 Independence Ave. SW
         Washington DC, 20202-4605

A complete copy of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) policy may be obtained from the Vice President of Student Services, the college Registrar, or by visiting the OC website.

Directory Information

The college designates the following items as directory information:

  • Name
  • Major field of study
  • Dates of attendance
  • Full-time or part-time status
  • Degrees, awards and honors received
  • Dates degrees conferred
  • Participation in recognized sports
  • Weight and height of athletic team members
  • Birthdate
  • Veteran Status

The college may disclose personally identifiable information designated as directory information from a student's education records without prior consent, unless the student informs the Ranger Station in writing that directory information should not be released without their written approval. This request will prevent any release of information to a third party without signed consent from the student. In addition, the electronic record will be annotated, preventing electronic release of information, with the words "no release" in the student database records. This certification does not preclude the verification of degrees awarded for graduation purposes.

Students may file a request for "no release" or limited release of information at the Registrar's Office. Students who wish to restrict directory information should realize that their names will not appear in the commencement bulletin and other college publications. Also, employers, credit card companies, loan agencies, scholarship committees and the like will be denied any of the student's directory information and will be informed that we have no information available about the student's attendance at OC.

Disclosure of Education Records

The college may, at its discretion, make disclosures from student education records:

  • To college officials who have a legitimate educational interest in the records, including college administrative and clerical staff, faculty, and students officially elected or appointed to Student Government of OC or employed by the college including contractors such as the National Student Clearinghouse.
  • To officials of another school where the student seeks or intends to enroll
  • To authorized federal, state or local officials as required by law, including the U.S. Comptroller General.
  • In connection with the student's financial aid request or award and if the information is necessary for certain purposes set forth in the regulations, including eligibility, the amount of aid, the conditions for aid or to enforce terms or conditions of the aid.
  • To comply with a judicial order, lawfully issued subpoena or IRS summons (the college must make a reasonable effort to notify the student in advance of compliance, unless the court has ordered non-disclosure).
  • To appropriate parties in a health or safety emergency.
  • To the parents of a dependent student, claimed as dependent for income tax purposes as defined in section 152 of Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended. The college is not required to disclose information to any parent of a dependent student, but may exercise its discretion to do so.
  • To organizations or individuals conducting studies for or on behalf of an educational agency or institution if conducted in a manner that does not permit personal identification of the students.
  • To the victim of an alleged crime of violence or a non-forcible sex offense.
  • To the parent of a student under the age of 21 if the student has violated any federal, state or local law, college rule or policy, governing the use of alcohol or a controlled substance if the institution has determined that the student committed a disciplinary violation.
  • To military recruiters authorized to obtain specific information under the Solomon Amendment.

Education records released to third parties shall be accompanied by a statement indicating that the information cannot be subsequently released in a personally identifiable form to other parties without obtaining the consent of the student. The college is not precluded from permitting third party disclosure to other parties listed.


Associate Degrees and Certificates

For degrees and certificates, students must apply to graduate. The "Application for Graduation" forms are available at all OC registration offices or on the OC website at olympic.edu/current-students/graduation. If the application cannot be approved as submitted, written notification will be given.

Degree - Graduation Application

Prospective graduates should meet with their advisor to complete the application to graduate one quarter prior to the date degree requirements will be finished. The signature of the advisor and the division are required on the applications for Associate in Technical Arts (ATA), Applied Science (AAS) and Applied Science Transfer (AAS-T).

Applications must be submitted to the Cashier at your local campus; a $20 fee (non-refundable) will be charged for the first degree application. A $5 fee (non-refundable) will be charged for each subsequent degree.

Certificates - Graduation Application

Students must submit an application for each certificate to be completed and see their advisor for assistance and signature. Return the completed application to the Cashier at your local campus. A fee of $20 is charged for the first certificate application. A $5 fee (non-refundable) will be charged for each subsequent certificate.

Graduation Application Deadlines

Last day to file for 2020-2021

  • Summer Quarter - Aug. 5, 2020
  • Fall Quarter - Oct. 16, 2020
  • Winter Quarter - Jan. 29, 2021
  • Spring Quarter - April 21, 2021


Commencement (graduation) takes place in June of each academic year, although degree requirements may be completed during any quarter. Graduation instructions will be sent to graduates approximately two weeks before Commencement. Gowns, honor cords (see "Honors Designations" in this catalog), and invitations may be purchased at the OC Bookstore. Certificates are not awarded at Commencement.